Sunday, June 8, 2014

Module 2: Reflection

This reflection is a bit harder for me since I do not have a classroom of my own, but I would have to say that I would love to see my school implement homework that is more project based, using creativity, technology, and getting the parents more involved. For example, my oldest this year did a living museum project where he had to research a famous person and present a full project and presentation. He had to first decide who he wanted to be, then had to research this person using internet resources and book resources. After this, he was to find pictures online and print them out to use for his presentation. He then had to make a presentation board displaying various pictures, information he typed out, props he placed in there, and so on.

My son chose Harry Houdini. This was quite fun (for both of us) because he told me the types of pictures he wanted to print, he dictated to me what he wanted typed out, how big, what kind of props he wanted to place on or around the board, and basically, he had complete creative control over it. The project had nothing to do with standardized testing, it had nothing to do with scores for this or that, it had everything to do with him being actively engage in his studies while learning how to organize thoughts, to research, write, speak, be creative. These are the lessons children will take with them and remember their whole life.

I agree that our system is broken and doesn't fit for this day in age. I would love to see a continuing shift in what the TED speaker talks about a separation between education and testing. There is a way to educate children in a way that doesn't require them to teach to the test. Testing should be an after thought. I feel doing a project based learning classroom could be a way to learn the concepts needed, but still have fun and have the children more fully engaged versus handing out worksheet after worksheet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment